White Chip Cranberry Blondies
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup dried cranberries, divided
- ¼ cup white baking chips, ¼ cup milk chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, olive oil, applesauce and vanilla. Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt; stir into egg mixture until blended. Stir in ½ cup dried cranberries (batter will be thick)
- Spread into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Top with the chips, pecans and remaining cranberries; gently press toppings down.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Oatmeal, Fruit, and Nut Bread
- ¾ cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 ¼ cups nonfat buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, blueberries, cranberries, or raisins
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- Combine the oats and buttermilk in a medium-sized bowl. Stir to mix well, and set aside.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl, and stir to mix well, pressing out any lumps. Add the buttermilk mixture and vanilla, and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the fruits and nuts.
- Coat an 8x14 inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Spread the batter in the pan, and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, or just until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove the bread from the oven, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Turn the loaf onto a wire rack, and cool before slicing
From: Secrets of Fat-Free Cooking by Sandra Woodruff
Mashed Edamame Whit Bean Pita Party Sandwiches
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ cups frozen shelled edamame
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup canned white or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 ounces reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Mediterranean Super Spice or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 package (6oz.) Trader Joe’s whole wheat mini pitas, or 6 (1oz. each) whole wheat pitas
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the edamame and garlic. Reduce the heat to medium and cover. Cook for 25-30 minutes, or until the edamame are very soft.
- Puree the edamame mixture with the white beans in a food processor or blender. Pour the mixture into a medium bowl. Stir in the cheese, parsley, and seasoning.
- Whisk together the vinegar and oil in a large bowl. Add the lettuce, tomato, and onion. Toss to coat.
- Open each pita about halfway around. Carefully spread the bean mixture inside each pita. Add the salad.
From: 400 Calorie Fix