Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cans (15oz each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4oz) chopped mild green chilies, drained
- ½ to 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 corn tortillas, sliced into ¼-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- Lime wedges
- Place chicken in Crock-Pot slow cooker. Add tomatoes with juice, chilies, ½ cup broth, onion, garlic and cumin.
- Cover; cook on low for 6 hours on low or 3 hours on high or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from Crock-Pot slow cooker. Shred with 2 forks and return to cooking liquid.
- Adjust seasonings, adding salt and pepper and more broth, if necessary.
- Stir in tortillas and cilantro before serving. Can top with cheese, avocado, and a squeeze of lime juice.
Old-Fashioned Split Pea Soup
- 4 quarts chicken broth
- 2 pounds dried split peas
- 1 cup chopped ham
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- Place all ingredients in Crock-Pot slow cooker.
- Stir well to combine.
- Cover; cook on low 8-10 hours or on high 4-6 hours or until peas are soft.
- Mix with hand mixer or hand blender on low speed until smooth.
Caraway Soda Bread
- Large (Minimum 5 quart) oval slow cooker
- Lightly grease 8 x 4 inch approx. loaf pan or 6 cup soufflé or baking dish
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, unbleached if possible
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- In a large bowl, mix together whole wheat and all-purpose flours, caraway seeds, sugar, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center
- In measuring cup, stir together buttermilk ad olive oil. Pour into well and mix just until blended. Knead several times to make dough fit the shape of your pan and place in prepared pan.
- Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil. Place in slow cooker stoneware and pour in enough boiling water to come 1 inch up the sides of the dish. Cover and cook on High for 2 ½ to 3 hours, until bread springs back when touched lightly in the center. Unmold and serve warm.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium size yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 8 cups ½-inch bread cubes
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ to 2 cups vegetable stock as needed
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and celery, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the thyme and sage, stirring to coat. Stir in the brandy and cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer the mixture to a 4-quart slow cooker. Add the bread cubes, walnuts, cranberries, parsley, salt, and pepper; stir in just enough stock to moisten, and mix well. Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding a little more stock if the mixture is too dry. Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours. Serve hot.