Many public libraries were established through the efforts of community members who understood the value of libraries to their communities, and also understood that libraries needed community support to survive. The Friends of the Library exists to help support the library, financially and through volunteer efforts, beyond the library's tax-supported operations. (FALSA, Friends of Libraries U.S.A.).
The Friends hosted Trivia Night at Base Camp (in Mazomanie) on October 8, 2016, jointly with the Friends of the Mazomanie Free Library. This event raised about $2,000, which was split between the two libraries. The Friends of the Black Earth Library also host an annual book and bake sale during the weekend of Field Days in August. They also hold a pie auction at the Concerts in the Park, usually in July.
Sponsored by the Friends
Here are just a few of the wonderful programs and items the Friends have helped pay for:
- Playaway digital audio books
- Annual antiques appraisal event with Mark Moran (January 29, 2017)
- Summer Library Program - Pint Size Polka, at Field Days 2016
- Annual contribution (fundraiser at Roxbury Tavern, Sept 2016) to Live Homework Help tutoring service for Wisconsin Heights students
- Public Performance Movie License
President - Pat Mommaerts
Vice President - Gary Olsen
Secretary - Mary Miron
Treasurer - Lisa Lutz